Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Summer in the City + HopStop.com, AAA and Travel Agent approach to Coaching

Confession time. I love summer in the city. Not that I love the city in the summer. I just love how the city empties out. I'm figuring I can be a bit ornery here today since so many of you have skipped town for the week. Thanks. Here's how it is for me. I love the country, mountains, nature, trees, the outdoors, and all the rest of it. It might be because I'm originally from Vermont - I'm New English - or because I spent three months a year in the mountains every year from the time that I was zero until college. Or, I just love it. I prefer being outdoors to being indoors anytime. Whatever the case may be (again - I'm taking liberties here today because I figure most of you are on vaca) so what I try and do is make sure that I get to spend as much of every day as possible outside. I also love the city - I love the culture, the energy, the opportunities, but I can't stand it when it's too too crowded which is.....always. So what do I do? I stick around the city when everyone packs out and crowds the country and shore and I head out to the country and shore when everyone comes back.

So the thing is that different people like different things different ways, which is really the point of my work and my approach to it. What is it that you like? Want? How do you want it? What's the best way for you to get it? I had a terrific conversation yesterday with the wonderful writer/person/parent Gina Roberts-Grey and we talked about lots of things including the ins and outs of coaching for an article she's working on. (Check out her work and articles - you'll learn a lot!)

I tried to explain my approach to working with people and the different kinds of coaching different people need. With some clients it's the HopStop.com approach. Where are you? Where do you want to go? How much do you want to use transportation and how much are you willing to walk? The person knows where they are and where they want to get to, they just need some assistance with the logistics. So we map out a route and take it from there.

With some clients it's more of the AAA (American Automobile Association) approach. I'm here and I'd like to travel to there but I need a roadmap, some places along the way to stop, figure out the most scenic/quickest/fill in the ________ route. Should I use my car? Should I drive part of the way and take the train? Should I fly and ride? Should I rent a car at my destination? All of the details about the best way to do it for what the person would like.

With some clients it's more of the travel agent approach. Hmmmm, I know I need to get out of town but I have no idea where I'd like to go! Do I want a hot climate? Cold? How do I want to get there? How long do I want it to take? These are all the questions that come into play. That takes longer.

So the short answer to "what kind of coaching is best/would work for me/do I need?" is that it depends on what you want and what the best way is for you to get it.

Enjoy the day, wherever you are!!!!!!
Rebecca Kiki
*******************
Daily Life Consulting
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For more information on individual or group coaching, workshops, seminars or coaching/education materials for your group or corporation (or just to say hi!) call 646.468.0608 or email me at coach at dailylifeconsulting.com