Monday, July 7, 2008

Age of Riches - Challenges of $600-a-Session Patients - NY Times

The question "what do you think?" is usually a loaded question for me because I usually have a number of thoughts and opinions, sometimes contradicting, on issues.
So to J, M, C, and R who emailed me links to the article in the New York Times
Age of Riches - Challenges of $600-a-Session Patients morning with the question
"what do you think and how does it relate to coaching?" I say "I think a couple of things".

*The first thing I'll say is that therapy is not coaching, coaching is not therapy and coaching shouldn't be a substitute for therapy, if therapy is needed and therapy shouldn't take the place of coaching if coaching is needed. The article was about therapy so I will only address my thoughts to general ones about topics in the article that you had questions about.

*The second thing I have to say is that I'm a firm believer in getting any kind of assistance one needs in order to have the most satisfying life possible. That assistance could be coaching, therapy, whatever it is that's necessary.

*The third thing I'll say is that each individual regardless of their circumstance brings individual issues into a coaching relationship.

*Moving on to the fourth thing I had a problem with some of the language in the article. Whenever it's a group of people with one thing in common....well, it sets up generalities that actually relate to many people.

*I don't think "in it to win" is a negative description (that one's for J). That's a personal thought and of course it depends on the situation. I do believe in, and work with my clients to achieve, a level of enjoyment and satisfaction from working toward goals and achieving goals.

*I think that people working with coaches or therapists will probably know more about their area of expertise than their coach or therapist (unless they happen to be in the same field and even then....) (that one is for M). I've worked with people in finance, the music industry and musicians, business, the arts, writers, directors, producers, people in sales, marketing, doctors, lawyers, government officials and agencies, educators, scientists, students, grad applicants and on and on. In each case I learned about the person's area of expertise even if it was an area I was trained or involved in. That's one of the great things about working with people in different fields - the things you learn.


*Being aware of life, mortality and legacy can work to assist people in really defining and focusing on what they find meaningful in their lives and how they want to move forward. (That one's for you R)

C and the rest of the emailers who have lots of questions. I hope I addressed some of them here and the rest we'll figure out later.

Enjoy the day your way,
Rebecca Kiki
*************************
Daily Life Consulting
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For more info on coaching or programs please call 646.468.0608 or email coach at dailylifeconsulting dot com