Thursday, January 3, 2008

You Know More Than You Know You Know

You know more than you know you know. There it is in a nutshell. A new way of looking at yourself in 2008. It's an interesting issue that comes up often with clients as a result of a gap between personal strengths and abilities, and self-knowledge of those strengths and abilities.

For example, S.K. is working on an early transition plan. He's planning on retiring from his current position while still in his 40s and and knows that he has no intention of just "sitting around".
During the course of our work one of the areas he's been exploring is what he might enjoy and what he might be well suited for. Sam has worked in finance for over 25 years and today he said "but what do I
know? I've only done this one thing my whole working life. What else would I know how to do?". What else? If you met Sam you'd be amazed at his knowledge, skills and areas of expertise but to him it's "just what I do".

T.V. is a graduate student finishing her studies in Psychology. For T. the question to answer is how does her interest in psychology translate into every day life and work? We've been working through her areas of expertise and interest and today reviewed a chart that she made of all of them. She was amazed at the things she knows and what she's able to do. To Thea it's "just what I do".

I was interviewed for an article by J. and when I pointed out all the elements that went into the interview and all the things he had to know how to do in order to get that interview going and completed, he was amazed. To Joe it was "just what I do."

I did it myself. I was interviewed by G. for an article she's writing and she commented on an online Q&A session that I'd done for a group she belongs to. She said the nicest things (thanks G!) and then said that she'd been really amazed by my ability to go from one topic to another and deal with different issues in different areas. I was speechless(not a usual occurrence) simply because I hadn't thought of it that way. I know that I'm multidisciplinary and use information from all areas for the different work I do so to me it was "just what I do."

What do you just do?

Here's a quick exercise I often use with clients to help them become aware of the multitude of skills, abilities, areas of expertise, tips and shortcuts they have and know but don't realize on a daily life basis because by now it's so routine, so familiar, so comfortable that it's "just what they do."

Materials - writing instruments, your memory, your day planner if you need it.

What to do-
1. Think back on your day. No pressure, no right or wrong answers. Just what you did.
2. Write down everything. If you started the day with exercise, or meditation, or breakfast, or getting the kids out on time, or trying an alternate route because there was traffic on your usual route.
3. Write down what you did for work or school (if school is in session or if you're working on a project).

This part requires a bit of analyzing and identifying of the above.

4. Describe what you did in order to complete #s 2 and 3 above.

For example, S.K. started off by reading the Wall Street Journal as he ran on the treadmill and mentally prepared for the conference call that was going to happen next week that he had to have information for, as well as a business lunch with the CEO of a company a client of his was interested in. Now to Sam that might be "just what I do" but to me it sounded like a lot of skill and knowledge went into that "just what I do". S.K. might do it but he wasn't aware of the things he knew that he knew in order to "just do it." (How much fun was that sentence?) So S.K.'s list included planning ahead, multitasking, researching, delegating tasks, intellectual planning of questions, training in computation, calculation and analyzing, negotiating skills and techniques and more. All traits and skills that can be transferred and used in many ways.

What did you do today?
What strengths, abilities, knowledge and training went into accomplishing them?
Break it down into the smallest pieces that you can. You'll be amazed at what you know how to do.


When it comes to transitions a favorite quote of mine "Begin from where you are. There is no where else." (I hate not to attribute things to the person who said them but I was sure it was Rainer Maria Rilke but can't find confirmation online so I'll keep looking and attribute it another time.)

I'll add to that to embrace and acknowledge who you are where you are. What it took to get there. What you know as a result of where you are and how you can take it and use it in your new future.

You know more than you know. Amaze yourself!
RK