Monday, January 7, 2008

The Falling-Down Professions - NY Times

The Falling-Down Professions by Alex Williams - great article. Doctors and lawyers that I work with are so conflicted by the different feelings they have about their work and the way it impacts their lives. Especially since they've devoted so much time and energy to becoming good/great at their professions and are highly driven and motivated. What now? What next? Am I losing the meaningful part of the work that I wanted? What sacrifices have I had to make personally and was it worth it? Can I change direction and lifestyle now? How can I change my lifestyle? How can I transition to a different way of working, living and possibly a different career track in the same field.

Williams describes the professions and the work world and how it's changed and with it changed people's attitudes. He also makes some terrific points about students attitudes to the work and careers. I come across it all the time with the college, graduate and post-graduate students I work with.

FYI - it's never too late to make a change. Your future is in front of you.
RK