Tuesday, January 15, 2008

TIERS(c) Coaching - Finding Focus Coaching - Questions Answered...

I'm often asked about how I developed the TIERS(c) Coaching System and some of the other programs that I've developed and use.

Other questions that I've gotten from many of you since the last couple of postings are about the terms "multi-disciplinary" and "inter-disciplinary". Some others often asked questions are about your lives, work and work/life and how to find a symmetry and balance that will make them both pleasurable, meaningful, integrated and successful. (Other questions as to time and methods I'll answer in a later post.)

I'll try and answer the questions briefly here since they are all connected. The "long answer" is pretty long so I'll leave that for another time.
Here goes. Mostly it's about a search which has led me to some terrific knowledge, experiences and still continues....this section focuses on my studies and on work since I was doing both at the same time.

Once upon a time in a burg named Brooklyn there lived a girl (originally from Bennington, VT.) who had just started college and was majoring in Education and Psychology (Disciplines 1 and 2 in the multidisciplinary topic). She had always wanted to be a teacher and also loved psychology. She believed that in order to really reach students and people and help them to learn and live the best way they can, you had to understand them as best as you could. (FYI she had originally wanted to major in English but was so traumatized by her English 1 professor that she changed majors to the other two subjects - never fear she came back to writing and English later in grad school.)

On and on. School. Work. School and Work at the same time. Grad school -
Ok - I have to stop myself here because the "short answer" is starting to look a whole lot like a very very long answer (I actually just took out 2 paragraphs - I guess that writing workshop last night really got me going....)

Long story short.
The disciplines in "Multidisciplinary" as far as areas of study are Education, Psychology, Guidance, Counseling, Writing, English, Psychotherapy and Analysis, Administration and Supervision, Creativity and most recently the Neuropsychobiology of feelings, emotions and behavior. (Yes, I love to study but only after a very illustrious history as a mediocre student (and sometime behavior problem) up to and including my senior year in college...)

Throughout my work experience as an Educator, Program Developer and Trainer (for NYC,CUNY and others), Counselor, Coach, Web Pioneer, Director of Integration and Coordination of Youth Services for NYC/NYS, Writer, Playwright (and some more that I can't think of right now)I've always combined my knowledge and training and allowed one area to inform the others. Hence the Interdisciplinary.

I'm Ok with having two opposing opinions and feelings about the same topic. I'm ok with exploring and developing new ways of tackling old problems. I believe that it's imperative that we become more interdisciplinary in many areas of our education and work lives.

So. The TIERS(c)(Temperament, Intellect, Expectation, Reality, Satisfaction) Coaching and Finding Focus Coaching and all the other programs and methodologies are an outgrowth of this search.

The answers to the question I often ask "How can I best assist people in achieving their desires and potential and to actually find out what those are".

Hope this answers some of your questions.

Keep sending emails and questions. I love hearing from you.

Enjoy your day,
Rebecca "Kiki"