Monday, March 31, 2008

Ask For Help - A Little Can Go A Long Way

If you have a question or issue you'd like help with send me an email to kiki at daily life consulting dot com and if I can I'll try and post a response here. That's the very short answer to a lot of the questions I've gotten recently. If you're not ready for coaching (financially, time-wise or emotionally) you don't have to jump right in but you don't have to suffer either. I can't take it when people suffer or struggle through something. I know I can't solve all the world's problems but....so here's what it's all about.

People ask me all the time how I came to do the things I do. Short answer, I really love helping people live better lives. I love helping people live the lives they want to live.
I became a teacher in order to be the kind of teacher I wished I had had. Guidance and Counseling? I wanted to guide and counsel in the way I wished I'd been. Coordinating NYC Youth Services? I wanted children all over NYC to get the directed help and programs that they needed in the simplest and most efficient way possible, and hopefully set an example for other cities in the US to develop databases and systems to enable them to do the same.

Psychology and my mental health studies are a way of giving me more information to help me achieve my goal in helping others achieve theirs. The creative arts a whole other story. But back to Coaching.

Coaching is a combination of all of the above. Teaching, Guidance, Counseling, developing and creating programs to assist people in attaining their goals, guiding people toward services and programs that can enrich their lives.
I like to help people. It's my nature. It's a result of what I've seen people go through in life. It's just who I am. Really, don't apologize if you send an email or ask a question you need some assistance with. Sometimes I can just post a general answer.

For example - shout out to the young woman on the Brooklyn bound F train from Manhattan on Friday afternoon at about 4:30pm - it took everything I had not to go over and just give you a one shot coaching burst just to get you out of your funk!

Here's a young woman who is describing her life to some friends she hadn't seen in a while. She's now a lawyer and apparently gave up her dream of being involved in sports on some level. Her friends were shocked "but you looooooove sports....you were always so into it....I can't believe you're not doing anything sports-related."

So here's this young woman who probably killed herself to get through Law School and now she's miserable (you should have seen the body language and tone of voice). I couldn't take it but at the same time I didn't think it was appropriate to hand her my card or start giving her unasked for advice and guidance. (If you happen to read this - send me an email - there are lots of ways that you can incorporate the things you love into your life.)

So ask for help, even if all you need is to let someone know you feel like you might need it at some point. It might not sound like a "big issue" but if it's bugging you, that's big enough.

Send an email to me at kiki at daily life consultin dot com and put 'a little help needed' in the subject line and I'll try and respond as soon as I can either via email or as a blog post.

Enjoy the day your way,
RK
Rebecca Kiki Weingarten M.Sc.Ed, MFA
Daily Life Consulting