Thursday, March 13, 2008

Why We're Powerless to Resist Grazing On Endless Web Data - Wall Street Journal (No Comment)

I so love this article in the Wall Street Journal - Why We're Powerless to Resist Grazing On Endless Web Data by Lee Gomes. For one thing it helps me understand myself and my clients better, for another it helped me decide once and for all to shut the "comments" function on these blogs. Most of you respond via email or during sessions so it never made much sense and now, well, it's just better all around.

What is it about information? I'm an information and knowledge junkie myself. I can't get enough of it. I love learning new things and figuring out solutions of all kinds. (That's now - don't ask about grade school and high school!) The article also points me in the direction of Irving Biederman, a neuroscientist at USC who studies the evolutionary and biological basis of the human need for information. How cool is that?

Quick Coaching Tip: Graze for information but try and control your intake. Don't overload. If you have a tendency to overload on information try and set a time limit for grazing with breaks in between for R&R (that doesn't include knowledge or information absorption!)